Reducing Food Loss and Waste
Impact of shelf life on the trade-off between economic and environmental objectives: A dairy case,
By Bryndis Stefansdottir, Verena Depping, Martin Grunow, Ulrich Kulozik,
- We develop a sustainability evaluation framework for product and process selection.
- A multi-objective optimization model is implemented in a rolling horizon scheme.
- A real-life case contrasts milk powders against concentrates based on detailed data.
- Two objectives are sufficient to capture the trade-offs in the present case.
- Economic value of shelf life is 34.5% for known prices, but 1.1% for future prices.
Towards nutrition sensitive agriculture. Actor readiness to reduce food and nutrient losses or wastes along the dairy value chain in Uganda
By Joshua Wesana, Hans De Steur, Manoj K. Dora, Emma Mutenyo, Lucia Muyama, Xavier Gellynck
- Dairy sector is susceptible to food and nutrient losses or wastes.
- Value chain actors have high readiness to reduce food and nutrient losses or wastes. Lean manufacturing can be adopted to reduce food and nutrient losses or wastes.
- Collaboration among chain actors and with external players is needed. Lean management; Organizational change theory
Synthesis and optimization of Hydnocarpus wightiana and dairy waste scum as feed stock for biodiesel production by using response surface methodologyBy K.N. Krishnamurthy, S.N. Sridhara, C.S. Ananda Kumar,
- Dairy waste scum oil and Hydnocarpus Wightiana oil is used for biodiesel production.
- RSM was adopted to optimize the transesterification process parameters.
- GC and FTIR analysis of biodiesel was also done.
- Biodiesel properties were determined using ASTM standards.