Energy and water research
Food processing industry energy and water consumption in the Pacific northwest
By Marc Compton, Sarah Willis, Behnaz Rezaie, Karen Humes
- Energy and water consumption in food processing industry in Pacific Northwest is mapped.
- Methods and technologies for reduction energy consumption and reduction water consumption in the food industry are summarised.
The energy mix and energy efficiency analysis for Brazilian dairy industry,
By Luiz Paulo de Lima, Gabriel Browne de Deus Ribeiro, Ronaldo Perez
- Brazil's dairy industry has a relatively poorly diversified energy matrix.
- Firewood (thermal) and diesel (electricity) were the main consumed fuels.
- High inefficiencies were identified regarding the use of electricity and thermal energy.
- There is room for new energy sources such as waste, industrial residues and other biomass.
- New public policies to encourage the renewable fuels utilization should be developed.
Biofouling on RO-membranes used for water recovery in the dairy industry,
- Membrane autopsy was conducted on dairy industrial reverse-osmosis membranes.
- Mixed microflora still resides on membrane surfaces after industrial cleaning.
- Membrane permeate surfaces were found highly biofouled by filamentous yeast.
- Potential ‘microbial leakages’ into permeate streams is not observed.
- Biofouling appears to have primarily technological and economic implications.
Solar energy utilisation for milk pasteurisation: A comprehensive review
By Hitesh Panchal, Romil Patel, Sudhir Chaudhary, D.K. Patel, Ravishankar Sathyamurthy, T. Arunkumar
- Discussed various research works have conducted by researchers on milk pasteurisation system.
- Application of flat plate collector and evacuated tubes used for solar milk pasteurisation system.
- Different solar milk pasteurization systems have reviewed and comparative analysis is presented.